Saturday, July 10, 2010

Windows 7 Network Adapter Ordering

Anyone else noticed that Windows 7 for some reason seems to ignore Network Adapter Ordering?  At work we explicity block our Wireless Subnet from traversing our VPN's to reach clients sites.  My ordering says that LAN takes higher priority than Wireless, yet if I have Wireless turned on, it takes precedence. 


As you can see the LAN NIC has a higher priority yet I can 100% confirm that the Wireless NIC always takes priority.  It's not the end of the world, i can disable the Wireless Adapter (& have been doing so) but I have to wonder if this is going to find itself fixed with SP1.

On another side note, I find myself needing to disable/reenable NIC's on a regular basis.  It seems to happen when the workstation is perpetually put in sleep mode when switching between multiple sites.  Again, not the end of the world, just a minor annoyance.  Symptoms are usually: awake from sleep, and can't obtain a lease.  Disable/Reenable and voila the lease is obtained (interestingly an ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew still fails to obtain a lease until the NIC is disabled/enabled).

No comments: